PROBABILITY & STATISTICS (EE304)    (Autumn 2019)


The exam is on Wednesday, Jan 11, 2020, at 12:30 in the Lower Loftus.

Don't forget to request a copy of the log tables at the start of the exam (it contains tables of the cumulative normal, chi squared and student distributions).
Tables for practice are on the Weekly Schedule.

Note: Details on the assignments and on the material covered appear on the
Weekly Schedule.

Lecturer


Tutor


Class meets



Course content and prerequisites

We will roughly follow the overview and learning outcomes posted on the university's official webpage for this course.
A more accurate Weekly Schedule will appear gradually as the course evolves.

It is expected that you have taken EE106 (Engineering Mathematics 1) and EE112 (Engineering Mathematics 2).
Please let me know if this is not the case.

The main topics of the course are grouped in three basic headlines.


Text

Lecture notes will appear on the Weekly Schedule.

The following book also covers most of the material in the course.

Douglas Montgomery & George Runger, Applied Statistics and Probability for Engineers (Wiley)

There are of course many, many other books on probability and statistics. I encourage you to have a look at other texts, as not every book works equally well for everyone. I may recommend some here later.


Notes and additional reading:

There are some extra notes from last year. They may be modified this year, but you can look at this version for now.

Standard normal tables:

Some exercises require you to get values from the cumulative distribution of a normal distribution. To do this we will use standard normal tables.
These are provided in the log tables on pages 36 and 37 (see also the weekly schedule).
These tables are also available on the wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_normal_table)
along with details of how to read them.

Exam and Continuous Assessment

There will be a two hour written examination. It counts for 80% of the mark. Continuous Assessment (that is, hand-in exercises), makes up the remaining 20%.

Homework

As with most courses in science, you can only really learn the subject by practising it yourself. (Also, you could substitute "enjoy" for learn in the previous sentence and it would still be true). To aid this process, there will be assignments and a case study. These will be marked, which should be useful feedback so you can check your understanding. The results will also count for 20% of the final mark. The exam provides the remaining 80% of the mark.

Please make sure your assignments show some cohesion as well as your name and student number. I encourage you to work on the homework in small groups; it is important to learn to communicate about the subject. However, please make sure you do fully understand the solutions to the problems and please write them up from scratch, in your own words. For this week's homework, see the Weekly Schedule


Old exam papers

Exam papers from previous years can be found here.

Also, here is a direct link to the 2019 exam paper, which has not been uploaded to the university's database yet.


Feedback

If you have questions, comments or suggestions for the lectures and the webpage (maybe you don't like green :)), then please send me an email. I can't promise to make everybody happy, but I will try.